It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Eastern Center for Arts and Technology (EASTERN) supporter and career and technical education advocate, Bill Lotz, on February 28, 2019.
In 1988, Lotz, a well-known and respected member of the business community, was recruited to serve on EASTERN’s Local Advisory Committee. Mr. Lotz remained on the committee and provided insight and leadership that has propelled EASTERN’s advisory committee structure to one of the most respected models in the Commonwealth.
In 1994, Bill was elected Chairperson of the Local Advisory Committee — a position he held until November 2008. The committee has since been renamed the Executive Advisory Committee. Bill participated in the first Strategic Plan undertaken at EASTERN and two subsequent strategic planning cycles. He served as a member of the Steering Committee for these efforts. Under his leadership, the following significant events have taken place:
- The development of two new programs – Protective Services and Allied Health.
- The restructuring of the EAC into a subcommittee structure that has been extremely effective.
- The development and refinement of a sophisticated program review and planning process that is key to maintaining program quality.
- The development of the Student Warranty Program—the first in the Commonwealth.
- The development of an Occupational Advisory Committee self-assessment process.
- The creation of EASTERN’s Foundation dedicated to raising money to provide scholarships and awards to EASTERN’s students.
Having completed his own carpentry apprenticeship as a young man, he firmly believed in the importance of career and technical programs. From 1988 through his retirement in 2009, Mr. Lotz provided EASTERN with expertise, guidance and candid insights that were greatly appreciated and respected.
Relatives and friends are invited to attend his viewing on Tuesday from 9:00 A.M. until his Funeral Mass 10:30 A.M. in Our Lady Help of Christians Church, 1500 Marian Rd. Abington, PA 19001. His Interment will be private. In lieu of flowers, contributions in his memory may be made to the Eastern Center for Arts and Technology, 3075 Terwood Rd. Willow Grove, PA 19090.