Emilia Wanders – Cosmetology
This award is sponsored each month by EASTERN’s faculty, Joint Operating Committee and the Willow Grove Rotary Club to highlight student excellence, success and service. This month Emilia Wanders was selected. She is a senior at Abington Senior High School and is being honored for her work in EASTERN’s Cosmetology program.
- When Emilia was in 8th Grade at Abington Junior High School, she attended a tour of EASTERN with her class. While in 10th grade, she attended EASTERN’s Open House, and met Ms. Wendy Leyden, one of EASTERN’s Cosmetology Instructors. Emilia felt strongly about finding a career that she loved. She decided to enroll in Cosmetology program for her junior and senior year and has excelled.
- After competing Cosmetology at EASTERN and graduating from Abington Senior High School, Emilia plans to attend Montgomery County Community College for Early Childhood Education. During the summers, she would like to continue her work as a Cosmetologist and maybe even take additional Cosmetology-related courses. Emilia feels that teaching young children during the school year and working as a Cosmetologist during the summer will provide her with the best of both worlds.
- “Emilia is kind, optimistic, service-oriented, and has a great work ethic,” said Wendy Leyden, EASTERN’s Cosmetology Instructor. “She loves helping others, so I feel as though her career aspirations in early childhood education and Cosmetology are a perfect fit for her.”
- Emilia was selected by her instructor to attend the Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO) Fall 2020 Leadership Conference where she participated in the Management and Organization, and Work Ethic forums.
- During EASTERN Career Expo visitation and Open House in 2020, she was chosen as a student demonstrator for Cosmetology.
- She has earned many industry-standard certifications that have enhanced her skillset and resume, such as Barbacide, Career Safe, Amika, and Pravana online color certification.
- At Abington Senior High School, Emilia received the Service Learning Award for achieving over 50 hours of service, and the President’s Volunteer Service Award for achieving over 75 hours of service. To achieve these hours, Emilia was an assistant teacher at a Sunday School. It was during this teaching experience that she realized that she would like to pursue Early Childhood Education in addition to Cosmetology.
- Emilia was featured in January as one of Abington Senior High School’s nominations as English student of the month.
- Emilia is a member of the National Honor Society at Abington Senior High School.
- At Awards Night 2021, Emilia received the Abington High School Alumni Association Award, Foundation Award for High Student Achievement, and Straight A.