Jessica Derricks – Cosmetology
This award is sponsored each month by EASTERN’s faculty, Joint Operating Committee and the Willow Grove Rotary Club to highlight student excellence, success and service. This month Jessica Derricks was selected. She is a senior at Abington Senior High School and is being honored for her work in EASTERN’s Cosmetology program.About Jessica:
- Jessica’s older sister attended Veterinary Science at EASTERN, and Jessica and her family had attended several EASTERN Open Houses over the years leading up to Jessica’s enrollment in Cosmetology.
- When Jessica was in tenth grade, she again attended EASTERN’s Open House, met the Cosmetology instructors, and knew the program was the right fit for her.
- Jessica currently works at a salon as a Shampoo Assistant.
- After graduating, and receiving her Cosmetology license, Jessica would like to work at the salon as a hair stylist. After working in the salon for a few years, Jessica is interested in taking postsecondary business courses at Montgomery County Community College. Her ultimate goal would be to open her own salon, and maybe even become a Cosmetology Instructor.
- “Jessica has a passion for the Cosmetology field that will take her far in the field,” said Wendy Leyden, EASTERN’s Cosmetology Instructor. “She has come out of her shell over the last two-years and has become confident in her skillset. She loves to learn, which will certainly benefit her throughout her career.”
- At EASTERN, Jessica is a student ambassador who speaks on behalf of her program at recruitment events. She is also a member and competitor for SkillsUSA, EASTERN’s student leadership organization. She recently participated in a virtual “up-do” SkillsUSA District competition, in which she had one hour to recreate an up-do provided to her in a photo.
- Jessica selected by her instructor at attend the virtual Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO) Fall Leadership Conference. At the conference, Jessica earned her SkillsUSA Framework Certification, which is an e-learning module where participants learn about SkillsUSA and how it ensures the development of world-class workers, leaders and responsible American citizens through the SkillsUSA Framework.
- At Abington Senior High School, Jessica is a member of the Marching Band, Indoor Color Guard, Reading Olympics, and a member of the National Honor Society. She also volunteers for the Abington Library “Abington Reads” program.